Features[edit | edit source]
Version 1.1 added the ability to save image files to floppy disk. Though Japanese websites can be viewed, versions 1.0 and 1.1 contain an incomplete implementation of KanjiTalk that is unable to input Japanese text for URLs or forms. A workaround is to use an app such as Atmark Town that supports Japanese input and saving the text to floppy disk or the Pippin console's built-in flash memory.
Internet Kit version 2.0 was updated to Netscape Navigator 2.01 and added drivers for Apple StyleWriter 1500 and 2500 printers. Japanese input support was provided by the EGBRIDGE component used in EGWORD instead of Apple's own Kotoeri input method from KanjiTalk. Translation software by PENSÉE for Internet was also included. However, a 2MB memory upgrade is required to use the new features.
Releases[edit | edit source]
When a lower-priced base "Pippin Atmark body set" (「ピピン＠アットマーク」「本体セット」) was introduced on June 15, 1996, version 1.1 became available separately as part of an "optional Internet Kit" (「別売インターネットキット」) or floppy dock.
Internet Kit version 2.0 became available on December 11, 1996 to existing users and as part of an update of the "Network set". Bandai Digital Entertainment discounted the price for installing the required 2MB memory upgrade from JP¥ 15,000 to 9,800 from September 25 to December 10, 1996. Version 2.0 does not support the magneto-optical (MO) drive in the Deltis 230 MO Docking Turbo; saving internet downloads to floppy disks with the Pippin Atmark Floppy Unit was recommended instead.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Screenshots[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Apple Pippin scans by DFJustin, The Internet Archive. 2013-08-10.
- Internet Kit (Japanese), Third Stage. Archived 1999-09-15.
- Pippin & more. (Japanese) by chemy cano, Pipp!n@Archive. Archived 2007-02-03.
- BDE: What's New - ネットワーク強化による アクセスポイント変更のお知らせ (Japanese), Bandai Digital Entertainment. Archived 1997-10-25.
- Internet kit (Japanese), PIP-TIPS. Archived 1999-02-02.
- InternetKit Ver.1.1 日本語書込大作戦～ (Japanese) by MAISON PiPPiN, GeoCities. Archived 2000-01-28.
- まずアットマークタウンの 「文章を書く」 (Japanese) by MAISON PiPPiN, GeoCities. Archived 1999-01-27.
- Pippin@ATMARK Home Use/Network Zone (Japanese), Atmark Channel. Archived 1997-06-20.
- What's New? Internet Kitバージョンアップサービス (Japanese), Atmark Channel Home Page. Archived 1997-01-02.
- Finder CD-R その３ (Japanese) by MAISON PiPPiN, GeoCities. Archived 2009-08-05.
- Ｐｉｐｐｉｎアットマークでご使用のみなさまへ, Okisoft. Archived 1998-02-10.
- Spec. (Japanese) by chemy cano, Pipp!n@Archive. Archived 2007-02-05.
- バンダイがピピンのバージョンアップサービス (Japanese), PC Week / Japan. 1996-09-25. Archived 1999-02-23.
- Freeware For Pippin (Japanese), Maki Enterprise. 1996-12-04. Archived 1997-04-21.
See also[edit | edit source]
- @WORLD Browser
- Atmark Channel Club
- Pippin Navigator CD
- Pippin Network CD
[edit | edit source]
- Pippin Appears by Brent Bossom at TidBITS (1996-04-15)