Based on the breakout hit virtual pets, Tamagotchi CD-ROM was developed by 7th Level Productions. It was promoted by Bandai Digital Entertainment at Macworld Expo Tokyo '97 and the 1997 Tokyo Toy Show.
Tamagotchi CD-ROM was released in Japan for Pippin and Macintosh by Bandai Digital Entertainment on August 8, 1997. A floppy disk was included with the original Japanese version CD-ROM. The Windows 95 version was released separately in Japan and the United States in August and September 1997, respectively.
On December 9, 1997, Bandai Digital Entertainment released a free software update which was referred to as "oral medicine" (「内服薬」) to reduce the mortality rate of the digital pets, especially during sickness.
- ↑ Background by Jef Samp, Critical Thoughts About Tamagotchi. 2001-01-18.
- ↑ Tamagotchi iD L (PDF), Bandai. 2011-02-01.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Tamagotchi CD-ROM Releases, MobyGames. Accessed 2017-05-10.
- ↑ Pippinは元気です！ From B.D.E by 松山由美子, MacWeek / Japan. 1997-02-20. Archived 1998-12-01.
- ↑ １９９７年東京おもちゃショー メガレンジャー ウルトラマンティガ (Japanese) by kbigstone, YouTube. 2012-07-15.
- ↑ PIPPIN@MARK software release list (Japanese), Retrogeme. Accessed 2017-05-03.
- ↑ Let’s Play Apple Pippin: Tamagotchi CD-ROM (French) by Pierre Dandumont, Le Journal du Lapin. 2018-02-18.
- ↑ Ordering Software, Bandai Digital Entertainment. Archived 1997-07-12.
- ↑ たまごっちCD-ROM（Mac&Pippin版）用の追加ソフト「内服薬」の無償配布について, Bandai Digital Entertainment (Japanese, Shift JIS). Archived 1998-01-12.